.

Saturday 11 June 2011

Good Night Mr Tom!

::Hello......I'm still here::
Sorry it's been so long since my last post. I really don't know where the time has gone. I have still been popping in to your blogs and enjoying a good read. Thank you all for the lovely comments on my last post I appreciated each one.

The weather has been pants over the last couple of weeks. This has meant one wet picnic with friends, but fun none the less and lots of time indoors with the littlies. We took a window of opportunity today and popped out to our local pick your own farm  and got some broad beans and strawberries and said hello to the alpacas (who were sporting a new haircut) and pigs called Mr Bubbles and Percy.






::

Smallest littlie is going to Kidderminster in a two weeks time to be an evacuee.
His school project this term has been WWII and to make it an experience they can understand they will dress as evacuees and go on a train to a Mansion House where they will Dig for Victory!

It's a great experience for them (the other two littlies have been before). It was easier when the girls went as they already had dresses in that style but dressing his nibbs was going to take a bit more thought. 
He needed a tank top!! Sweater vest I think you call them over the pond.
I hunted through Ravelry for a suitable pattern but could only find baby patterns or gents. 
Nothing else for it I had to wing it! Not the easiest of task for a bear of very little brain like me who has only ever knitted baby clothes before (apart from my socks). I just read hundreds of patterns and took little bits of info from each.
This is what I came up with..........


He loves it! So do I. He looks like he's straight from that lovely film
 Good Night Mr Tom, which if you have never seen is a film everyone should see at least once. Littlie likes it so much he wanted to wear it to bed over his jammies! This afternoon I'll be wrapping a Persil Tablet box in brown paper and attaching string to it for his gas mask box. Mr TB has found a cap for him to wear and I have made a label to attach to his person to make it authentic! 
::
My brothers wife is due to have baby number 4 in October so I have been trawling the baby patterns for nice easy knits to make. I found the most gorgeous baby sleep sack on Ravelry .................................


How cute is that???? Slight problem is the pattern is in French so nice but not easy! The extent of my school girl French allows me to order a Stella Artois in the pub up the road but not much else. Do you think I can wing it ? I wonder how it might look if the cables were owlie cables like I have seen in patterns on Rav? I figure it's worth a try. I don't know if she's having a boy or a girl (they have 3 boys already) so I bought some soft grey yarn and will add buttons and a lining according to which they have. 

This is the yarn, 400g ball for the total bargain price of £3.50!!!!
::
Right my lovelies that's it for now, I am being distracted by the smell of the Tagine bubbling away in the oven which needs attention.
Have a great week.
Love
Tickety-boo
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx



12 comments:

  1. I know where that aran came from - I was looking at it today! The tank top looks great well done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great work on the tank top, looks just right! I bet he will have a great time being an evacuee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are very clever, it would throw me into a frenzy if I had to arrange evacuee clothing, great job on the tank top, he will be putting in an order for more and your Persil box will make the perfect gas mask box. I love broad beans and picking your own. great fun. Hope you are having a lovely weekend. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That spotted pig is interesting!
    Nice vest!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. that vest is awesome! how clever are you!!! KB wants a vest just like that but it is sooooo hard to find a pattern...
    that sounds like such an amazing way to educate children about what it was like back then rather than watching a DVD about it, nice!
    Wishing you a lovely week my dear!
    XXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing that you just rustled up a tank top so quickly! He's going to look so cute in that and the little cap and gas mask case!- hope he has fun!
    Weather been too wet here the last few dyas for pick your own, but hoping to get some strawberries soon for jam making - didnt make it last week as id hoped.
    The broad beans look good!
    Great price aran!
    Have a great weekend, whats left of it!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am knitting a similar tank top at the moment for myself! LOL!! I LOVE the baby sleep sack! What a cute thing! Cx

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fantastic tank top. Well done. And happy knitting with that lovely baby sack. x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay - finally able to post a message to you! As a pretty poor knitter myself I am in awe of you being able to make up the vest pattern - it's brilliant. What a great way to teach the children history. The baby sack is lovely, the soft grey is a really good idea. Jacq x

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love Goodnight Mister Tom, I've seen it a few times. Your littlie is going to look so cute in his tank top, which is fab, and cap. Trips such as these make learning fun for them. The sleep sack is cute and will look lovely in the soft grey yarn.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello! I just wanted to let you know that I've nominated you for a blogger award :) You can find out more here: http://eggbirddesigns.blogspot.com/2011/06/kreativ-bloggers.html

    Much love,
    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your lovely comment on my post! Blogging is so rewarding, albeit jolly time consuming!!!
    I see from the comment above mine you have just been awarded another blogger award! Well done you!!!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete